Wahoo! This is Mike and Sara, coming to you from Manila. We will do our best to keep this thing updated, so stop in and leave a comment. And feel free to email us.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Patriotism

A few days ago we drove past the American Embassy, which is about a mile from our place in Bahrain. On top of the building flies an American flag, the only one I have seen since we arrived. Never before have I realized what a big deal a flag is. We are halfway around the world, and most things here are very different from America. But, seeing the flag, it feels like we are home. It feels like we are safe, like we belong to something, like we are cared for. I have seen thousands of American flags before, and have even flown one from the house on holidays, but never really understood until now why flags are such a big deal. I love driving past that flag, and it reminds me that I am a citizen of a great country. I think I'm starting to understand what patriotism really is...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home